07 December 2006

Connecticut CCSPC and the USPS

Ok, so this is a somewhat amusing situation that my father and step-mother are going through. My step-mother bought her house (where she lives with my father) back in the year 2000. Since she has moved in, a certain governmental agency in the State of Connecticut has been sending mail to the former owner of the property.

Just about every month, two letters from "Connecticut CCSPC" arrive in the mail for the previous owner. Here's the thing: my step-mother bought the house from the estate of the prior owner. That is, the prior owner had died, and it was his estate selling the house.

So ever since then, the Connecticut CCSPC (which turns out to be the CT Centralized Child Support Processing Center) has been sending two letters per month, over the past approximately seven years. And every time a letter comes, my father or step-mother put it back into the mailbox (unopened of course) with a note in red ink to the post office, instructing them to return the mail to send as recipient no longer resides here or recipient is deceased.

Yet, the extremely efficient mechinations of the government of the State of Connecticut
have persisted in sending out the letters, just as reliably as as was Old Yeller. Now, this basically amounts to a waste of taxpayer dollars. You see, the prior owner's estate could have been liable for paying whatever it is that the government of CT is sending these letters after him for (in this case, I posit that they're seeking child support payments). However, it's quite unusual for an estate not to have been settled after more than a few years. And we have no idea as to when the previous owner passed away; his estate could have been open for a few years before the house was sold.

So the state government is wasting lord only knows how much hard-earned taxpayer money by attempting to collect child support payments from somebody who's been dead at least six years. Isn't that just typical?

To try and stop this waste of taxpayer money, I wrote the following letter for my step-mother to sign (personal info is redacted), which she has, and it's going into the mail tomorrow (Friday):

Connecticut – CCSPC
PO Box 990031
Hartford, CT 06199-0031

Re: XXXXXXXXXX

Dear Madam or Sir:

I write with respect to the correspondence that you keeping sending to my address (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) for one XXXXXXXXXX. I received in the mail today two pieces of correspondence from you, addressed to “XXXXXXXXXX.” I have placed them back into my mailbox, unopened, for retrieval up by our postal carrier with instructions on the envelope to return to sender, as the recipient does not live here.

In fact, I bought my home from XXXXXXXXXX in the year 2000, and I have lived here ever since. I am quite sure that XXXXXXXXXX has not even set foot in this house since before I purchased it from him. Moreover, the reason for my certitude is that I purchased my home from XXXXXXXXXX’s estate. As such, I can say with absolute certainty that you will never find XXXXXXXXXX at my address. Perhaps you can determine where he is interred and hire a medium to contact him there?

I have tried to raise this issue with the USPS but, because I do not have any forwarding address for XXXXXXXXXX’s estate (i.e., the address of his estate’s administrator/executor), the USPS is unable to prevent your mail to him from being delivered to me at my address.

Consequentially, I respectfully request that you stop sending correspondence to XXXXXXXXXX at my address (
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX). Every time you send these letters (amounting to two letters per month over the past almost seven years), I have placed them back into the mailbox, unopened, with a note to “return to sender as recipient is deceased.” Your continuing attempts at contacting XXXXXXXXXX, who has been deceased since at least the year 2000, is a complete and total waste of my money as a tax-paying citizen.

Thank you for your time and kind cooperation.

Sincerely yours,

/s/

cc: United States Postal Service
The Stamford Advocate
The Honorable M. Jodi Rell, Governor of the State of Connecticut

Do I have a flair for the dramatic, tongue-in-cheek letter, or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment