18 February 2022

Bronchitis vs. COVID-19 vs. URI vs. Colds


I'm sick. I've been sick since Wednesday evening. I think it's my annual bout of bronchitis. Or it could be COVID. But I doubt it. But with all the anxiety over COVID, IDK anymore.

I think all the anxiety they have given us over COVID has left us unable to determine when we have a simple cold or the flu, or something like bronchitis, or something worse--like COVID--or some other sort of infection. 

More likely than not this either is my annual bronchitis or a URI (upper respiratory infection). But I'm sick and miserable. Oh. I'm being redundant. But I'm sick so I'm allowed a bit of redundancy.

I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels this way. That is, that one little sniffle--or in my case, a single cough--sends off alarm bells and trips to CVS buying out every single possible home COVID test there is on the shelves. Because I've already had COVID-19. And not the trimmed-down Delta or Omicron variants but the OG one that first came out, when it first came out, when everybody was running around like chickens with their heads cut off because nobody knew what the hell they were doing.

And it was rough. Like, for reals rough. Like, stranded on an Antarctic island without a mobile or satellite signal kind of rough (and no cute penguins to keep ya company, only the menacing glare of that polar bear...). But I digress...

So I'm sick. And I'm watching the seconds go by as I wait for the appointed hour of my telehealth visit with my new PCP (primary care physician) who will tell me I don't have COVID-19. Because I know I don't. It's just my annual bout with bronchitis, right? But I'm still freaking out because what if it IS COVID-19. I mean, I'm vaxed and boosted and what are the chances I would catch it again? Seriously?

 Because this is what they have done to us. Any time we get a little sniffle. Or sneeze. Or cough. This is now the road we take ourselves down.

And I'm pretty certain that it's a road they built.

No comments:

Post a Comment